Click here to go to the main London Society website
Hugh Broughton Architects has been engaged in the careful restoration of the TUC’s London headquarters Congress House for the last 23 years. The Grade II* listed Modernist building in Fitzrovia, is just north of New Oxford Street and a few minutes’ walk from the British Museum.
Designed by David du Rieu Aberdeen, it opened in 1958 to commemorate union members who died in the world wars. The latest phase of the ongoing refurbishment is the creation of a second entrance, The Rookery, on Dyott Street, features a glass installation by artist Eva Berendes which continues the TUC’s ongoing commitment to art and architecture and visually reflects the TUC’s values and history. Earlier phases include the installation of a steel and ETFE roof canopy over the central courtyard, where the TUC’s seminal Epstein war memorial ‘Pieta’ is displayed.
Hugh Broughton, Director, Hugh Broughton Architects, will lead a tour of the ground floor spaces including the Rookery entrance and Marble Hall overlooking the central courtyard.
Photo © James Brittain
Mortimer Wheeler House
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London N1 7ED
020 7253 9400